K-9 Prodigy - Unleash the genius in your dog
RSS

Delivered by FeedBurner

Recent Posts

Should my child walk the dog alone?
Should my dog greet other dogs on leash?
Reality Check for Rescue Dogs
Summer Parks Challenge 2019 Recap: "What I learned from the KP Parks Challenge"
Summer Parks Challenge!

Tails from Trials
Training Logs
Training Tips
powered by

My Blog

Pros and Cons of Training Your Own Service Dog

Are you considering training your own service dog? It's not a decision to take lightly! Owner-training is a huge commitment -- not something that you can do "on the weekends" or "when I get around to it." Good owner-training takes a substantial amount of time, energy, and good old-fashioned hard work. If you have a disability and are considering training your own service dog, here's the quick-list of pros and cons.

Pros

1) No wait time. Many service dog organizations have a wait time of several *years.* In particular, if your disability is one which will be helped by the mere presence of a dog, you will start to get some emotional and companionship support of the dog before it is even trained! (Note: Providing "emotional and companionship support" is not considered a "trained task" by the ADA...but service dog users know that this is a huge part of the dogs' benefit.)

2) The dog can be trained to *your* specifications. For example, many parents agree that the "stimming" behaviors of an autistic child are not harmful and should be tolerated as long as they do not involve self-injury (I agree with this, BTW -- long live neurodiversity!) but many autism service dogs are trained to interrupt stimming. If you do not *want* your son or daughter's dog to interrupt stimming, an owner-trainer simply doesn't train that task. You can concentrate only on the tasks that you actually need.

3) Owner-trainers develop better handling skills. Most program-trained dogs come with a handler training portion ranging from a few weeks at a campus to a few days (!) with an instructor, and many programs include at least some follow-up and troubleshooting if there are problems. But successful owner-trainers understand the entire process, have already dealt with most of the problems, and are usually more self-sufficient throughout the dog's career.

Cons:

1) It's HARD to find the right dog. In my experience, expect to spend at least six months locating a suitable candidate. One of my current teams spent over a year finding their candidate. It's a very specific temperament that you're looking for; the perfect balance between calmness (for public access) and drive (for taskwork.) Oh, and don't forget about good health!

2) It's a LOT of work. The International Association of Assistance Dog Partnerships recommends 180 hours of training over a period of 6 months. Are you prepared to work your dog for 1-3 task training sessions every day for six months as well as public access practice?

3) It might not work out. Estimates for owner-trainer success rates range from 10% to 30%. This is a VERY low success rate. (For comparison, success rates for program-trained dogs are between 50-85%, and these dogs are usually specially-bred, specially-trained from puppyhood, and professionally trained and matched.)

Still with me? Here's my advice from almost 10 years working with owner-trainers and their dogs:

1) Choose your dog candidate with your head, not your heart. I know you're excited to get started training, but slow down, tiger. This is NOT the time to get bleeding-heart and want to "rescue an abused, aggressive dog and turn its life around" or "prove to the world that pit bulls are really great dogs." You deserve the most appropriate candidate you can find. Don't make it harder than it needs to be -- I promise, it will be hard enough.

2) Take your disability into account when training. This especially applies to people with Psychiatric Service Dogs. Yes, sometimes you are going to have a bad period and it will be hard to get out of bed. On those days, you are going to attend to the dogs basic needs, congratulate yourself for doing that, and not -- NOT -- freak out about training. On those other days, when you're functioning better, you're going to train and practice. Yes, that might add weeks to your training plan. Yes, that's okay.

3) Connect with others. There are many owner-trainer message boards, Facebook groups etc! Take huge advantage!

4) Know in advance what you're going to do if your dog does not complete training. Remember the low success rate? Ideally you should decide this before you even get your candidate. You can keep the dog and give up on the idea of service dogs. You can rehome the dog and try again with a different candidate. Or you can keep the dog and then get a second dog as a candidate. Only you can make this decision, but you do need to make it, and hopefully before you NEED to make it.

17 Comments to Pros and Cons of Training Your Own Service Dog:

Comments RSS
23 is back on Monday, March 16, 2020 2:12 AM
23 is back https://23is-back.com/ 23 is back

www.au-resumesplanet.com on Saturday, April 18, 2020 5:31 AM
I am actually planning to adopt a dog because I am kind of interested with these cute creatures and I would like to take good care of them. I am not sure with what service dog is but I think that these things you have shared here will be a great help for me once I already have my own dog. I can't really wait to get to know them better and treat my dog as a family. I know that my life will be so much better for sure. Thank you so much by the way for this. I am looking forward to know more helpful tips from you.

Adamaris on Friday, April 3, 2020 1:30 AM
Your post will be rather good and I'm sure many others will find it interesting because it's about a widely discussed topic. Your content is explained in much better way. Thanks so much for your post. commercial rubber matting

Anonymous on Friday, April 3, 2020 3:52 AM
I read your excellent post. After reading this post, i really appreciate your effort and my request is to please share us more post in future. Keep it up. loan management software for commercial use

.. on Friday, April 3, 2020 9:40 PM

small tattoos on Sunday, April 5, 2020 12:09 AM
small tattoos https://inksmalltattoos.com/ small tattoos

Adney on Tuesday, April 7, 2020 4:44 AM
I just got to this amazing bog not long ago. I was actually captured with the piece of resources you have got here. Big thumbs up for making such wonderful blog page and keep it up. Want to see more posts in a future. Contact us today to get gym mats

Ben on Saturday, April 18, 2020 4:34 AM
I just got to this amazing bog not long ago.After reading this post, i really appreciate your effort Keep it up. seo course online Lahore

Zack on Saturday, April 18, 2020 5:55 AM
Really like the information in your articles. I’m able to bookmark your site and show the friends to visit this blog keep it up. telescope for sale in uk

Yeezy on Tuesday, April 28, 2020 5:31 AM

LEE on Saturday, June 6, 2020 5:48 AM
It was a pleasure meeting you today. Your website is quite impressive and i look forward to reading your new blog postings. I appreciate your effort which you applied on this blog. Thank you so much for sharing this and keep it up laser treatment for under eye bag removal

pay for stukent simulation help on Thursday, June 11, 2020 7:18 AM
Allassignmenthelp helps you to stay at the top of the class with my assignment help.

pocket watch on Thursday, July 9, 2020 10:55 PM

Nike Shoes on Monday, August 3, 2020 6:47 AM

assignment help on Thursday, August 13, 2020 8:31 AM

Banking Decision on Sunday, August 30, 2020 7:29 AM
hair transplant clinic in Rourkela using latest technologies of hair restoration and is becoming famous as the treatment provided by them is at par with western countries. Growing of hair is not only the answer but finding out the result of hair transplantation is important. This has been driven by recent rapid advances in data, analytics, and digital technology, which have created the perfect storm in retail Banking Decision making. Academic Session - the time during which a school holds classes; "they had to shorten the school term" This includes solar energy, clean forms of transportation, green building and water. Clean tech market today is like Internet was 20 years ago. Just before the annual holiday takeoff, Dasher twisted his fetlock. He landed wrong during a hotly contested reindeer game. I am obviously biased, but I think it is the best way to grow web traffic without SEO. Do you have a piece of furniture that you love, but it’s looking a little ragged? Instead of purchasing a replacement you could have it upholstered. And, it’s pretty solid business idea as well. Self care advise is about how you avoid becoming ill, treat common everyday illnesses and seek help when you need it as well as keeping fit and healthy.

Learn Quran Online on Wednesday, September 30, 2020 3:35 AM
Your post is really very good and I appreciate it. It’s hard to sort the good from the bad sometimes, but I think you've nailed it. You write very well which is amazing. I really impressed by your post.