K-9 Prodigy - Unleash the genius in your dog
RSS

Delivered by FeedBurner

Recent Posts

Should my child walk the dog alone?
Should my dog greet other dogs on leash?
Reality Check for Rescue Dogs
Summer Parks Challenge 2019 Recap: "What I learned from the KP Parks Challenge"
Summer Parks Challenge!

Service Dogs
Tails from Trials
Training Logs
Training Tips
powered by

My Blog

Summer Parks Challenge 2019 Recap: "What I learned from the KP Parks Challenge"

The summer is over, and so is the 2019 Parks Training Challenge. If you're not familiar with the Parks Training Challenge, it's a marathon summer event with a simple premise: Take your dog to as many different city, county, state, etc parks as possible and practice training with them. It doesn't matter what you're working on, as long as you're working on something.

The Parks Challenge is addictive; I'm constantly surprised at how drawn in people get. Or maybe I shouldn't be surprised. It's fun and competitive, sure, but also: it really, really works. Dogs get trained. They get good. Handlers get good. The team gets good. A dog and handler at the end of the summer, having participated in the challenge, are going to be lightyears ahead of where they were at the start of the summer. Here's some of what I learned -- let me know what you learned!

Go in with a plan, but be ready to change it if needed. If your plan is to do longline recalls, but when you show up the park is covered in squirrels, then you might want to put the recalls on hold and work on the squirrel distraction instead. First things first; if your squirrel distraction problem is too great, your recalls will never work. So squirrel distraction needs to come first.

You'll get more fluent as you go. And more confident. Maybe you're nervous about bringing your young dog out to a new place. You bring lots of treats, you park in the very corner of the parking lot away from all the action, you hold your breath and hope for just one "sit" and a couple of steps of loose-leash walking. Your dog does fine. The next time, you're a little more confident; you push a little harder. This works also, and a trend is born. Your confidence is going up steadily.

Or maybe you're already feeling plenty confident. In fact, maybe you're a little too confident. If you're overconfident, then the challenge can help you remain realistic. Maybe you head out to your first training session, envisioning your dog doing perfect heeling just outside the dog park fence, as skateboarders whiz by and frisbees soar overhead. That scenario probably does not play out. So you revamp your training plan and start smaller. Your dog does great with your scaled-down version of the training plan, and next time you can add more difficulty.

You will build the bond. All those hours spent, and all that exploration together. Sometimes you'll get friends and family members to tag along, but often it's just the two of you. Isn't this kind of what you envisioned when you got a dog? Setting off for adventures with your dog, just the two of you? For me there were moments when I felt this was the epitome of dog ownership, just going out and doing stuff together.

You will get really good at developing training plans. Even if at the start of the summer you're sure that it's going to take literally four months to learn loose-leash walking, and that's all you're planning on working on for the challenge, you'll probably find that at some point the dog has learned loose-leash walking, and now you're getting bored and ready to try something new. So, figure it out and try something new! Maybe stays. Maybe jogging. Maybe tricks.

Our local parks in this section of Oregon are awesome. I was blown away by the beauty, richness and diversity of our parks. Forest Park is probably the biggest city park in the country, and you could spend an entire summer just exploring it. But we've also got lots of other parks that also have good hiking. There's well-kept, clean and fenced dog parks. There's cool little urban parks with sculptures and public art. There's fountains. During the summer there's free movies and concerts several times per week. There's great play structures for the kids, including some that are adaptable for special-needs kids. There's space for every kind of sport you'd like to do -- disc golf, tennis, swimming pools. The Portland Parks system is fantastic and every time I went to a new one I was reminded of just how great it is.

It's fall now, and the happy memories of the summer of 2019 will be more and more distant each day, but the lessons learned will stay. And for those of you who didn't participate in the challenge this year, it will repeat in 2020! In fact, there are lots of new things planned for next year, including new awards categories and other fun activities. See you next summer!

21 Comments to Summer Parks Challenge 2019 Recap: "What I learned from the KP Parks Challenge":

Comments RSS
best hot air popcorn popper on Wednesday, May 20, 2020 12:43 AM
Hi friend, I read your post completely every bit of it. I seriously feel your content is of top-notch quality https://besthotairpopcornpopper.blogspot.com/2020/05/best-hot-air-popcorn-popper.html It makes me give you such a feedback for the work you have done on your site mate. I am really glad to be here and read your content. keep up the killer work. I am really amazed keep on sharing much more interesting content often on your site. keep me updated with lot of new things and knowledgeable content best hot air popcorn popper Cheers to you Thanks

armondo on Monday, June 22, 2020 12:20 PM
Good Informative post for every individual.sex booster tablets for male .

fernwood on Tuesday, June 30, 2020 8:52 AM
Memorial Services & funeral home Home San Francisco | Funeral Home Near Me: Fernwood is a full range funeral home offering memorial services in our environmentally conscious cemetery San Francisco Bay Area. We can assist you in giving expression to the richness and beauty of life through a Memorial Service or Funeral Home Near Me.

Howe Insurance Services on Wednesday, September 9, 2020 2:33 AM
Thanks for sharing an great post with us. Get the best funeral cover

Anonymous on Saturday, September 12, 2020 6:22 AM

aretelabs on Tuesday, October 13, 2020 3:13 AM
US Math Competition | Online Math Contest | Virtual Math Games – Aretelabs.com | AreteLabs: Whether it's for elementary (grade school), middle school, or high school, Math Madness is the best website on the internet for a team to participate in a full-fledged math tournament. In addition, AreteLabs can customize math leagues and tournaments to the preferences of an educational network like a school district.

Pizza steel on Thursday, November 12, 2020 4:55 AM
Deluxe Square Pizza Steel | Better than any Square Pizza Stone - Cooking Steels:A homemade pizza is a healthy pizza, and our square pizza steel can help you make pizzeria quality pies from your home kitchen. Better performance than even the best square pizza stone, our pizza steel is the perfect tool for cooking quality pizzas fast.

Frameless cabinets on Thursday, November 19, 2020 2:27 AM
What are Frameless Cabinets? Woodstone Cabinetry:Discover what defines frameless cabinets in Atlanta. Learn everything you need to know about Atlanta frameless cabinets. Here at Woodstone Cabinetry

walleye fishing columbia river on Tuesday, December 15, 2020 10:40 AM
I am really impressed with your efforts and really pleased to visit this post. walleye fishing columbia river

Liam on Thursday, December 17, 2020 3:02 AM
I just got to this amazing blog not long ago. I was actually captured with the piece of resources you have got here. Keep up the good work. Welcome go to site Strong magnetic rod

Charlie Thomas on Monday, December 21, 2020 8:08 PM
Great article, I wish more authors of this type of content would take the time you did to research and write so well. rubber matting at affordable rate

Max Deniel on Monday, December 21, 2020 8:23 PM
You’ve got some interesting points in this article. I would have never considered any of these if I didn’t come across this. Thank you for sharing such beautiful information with us. I hope you will share some more info. rubber matting experts here

Dr. Habrew on Monday, December 21, 2020 8:34 PM
Please give some advice on how to achieve this kind of posts. Definately coming back. top 10 eye specialist in lahore

Anonymous on Tuesday, December 22, 2020 5:34 AM
Your blog is really informational as it has sufficient content to maintain a good traffic. I am impressed by your style. Keep sharing. https://passatonce.co.uk/

Larry Bogart on Tuesday, December 22, 2020 7:56 PM
You have done very well job. I am going to bookmark this post for my future concerns. buy garage shelving unit for garage tools

Adam Benjamin on Tuesday, December 22, 2020 8:07 PM
Very good content is present on your website. The article has been very useful to me. I will be connected for long time. Click to buy UK adhesive magnets

Louie Rouban on Tuesday, December 22, 2020 10:00 PM
This web site definitely has all of the information and facts I needed concerning this subject and didn’t know who to ask. epdm roofing kits uk

Jenson Carter on Tuesday, December 22, 2020 10:10 PM
Great article, I wish more authors of this type of content would take the time you did to research and write so well. New design of Best Rubber Sheet for sale

Maiyaan on Sunday, January 3, 2021 5:59 AM
This is one of the best articles I have come across. Keep up the good work. Welcome go to site buy mobile on installments

Mona on Sunday, January 3, 2021 7:01 AM
I wish more authors of this type of content would take the time you did to research and write so well. I am very impressed with your vision and insight. Coronavirus Brazil

papernow on Tuesday, January 26, 2021 8:21 AM
This is why writing an article critique is never easy. Students may not have the time to do all the reading, analysis, and evaluation. However, they can find help from professionals who know how to make accurate critiques.